Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bad Publicity

So I've had a lot of people ask me about the Disney "line cutting" issue that's been highly publicized in the media lately. So, here's my take.

Disney put some great processes in place to ensure that guests with varying degrees of disabilities would be able to have a magical vacation. Some of these processes include the Guest Assistance Pass. This was an invaluable asset to me last year during our trip as it allowed me to ride my favorite attractions with the rest of my party and reduce the amount of pain I would be in just waiting in the standby line. Would others think that was "cutting"? Perhaps. But those people have absolutely NO idea what waiting in a 75 minute standby line would do to my legs. If this pass was eliminated, I would get to ride maybe 2 to 3 rides a day, all while in tremendous pain. Doesn't sound too magical, huh?

And lets discuss the "long lines" issue. To anyone who has EVER been to Disney, you know there are ways to avoid the long lines. First off, the Fast Pass system is available to ALL GUESTS. You simply pop your park ticket into the machine and get a reservation for that ride. Come back any time during the 1 hour time on your pass, and essentially walk right onto the ride - passing all those people standing in the Stand By line (which I will never understand). THIS is the line I use with my GAP. I use the Fast Pass line. No one is "cut". No one else is even effected. I am also ensured that there are no stairs or obstacles in my path that might prevent me from getting to ride.

Sadly, there are some people out there that ruin this for people with disabilities that others may not see outwardly. Personally, I carry a medical letter of necessity with me throughout my vacation to verify for any Cast Member that may ask (it's never happened, but I would never be offended if it did.) Cast Members are taught never to ask what the disability is before giving someone the GAP, out of respect to the guest's privacy - but with the media jumping on this, I imagine that will change. And honestly, it's a shame. A mother with an autistic son shouldn't have to worry about getting berated as she walks through a Fast Pass line. A father with an epileptic daughter shouldn't have to worry about the hot Florida sun as he waits in line with her. And a 27 year old young woman with a severe nerve disorder that prevents her from doing ANYTHING without pain should be able to ride rides with her friends without being questioned by others.

That's the beautiful thing about Disney. It's for everyone! No matter what your ability level is, Disney has your back. It's one of the best vacation spots for those with different abilities, and it's because of programs like the GAP, Fast Pass and well informed Cast Members. I've said it for years to my MDA families and have never heard a bad word about their experiences. And it's a shame that there are so many people out there who take advantage of those processes who don't NEED them for selfish reasons. Use the Fast Pass! It's there for everyone and you'll get the same experience while leaving the GAP for those who have medical reason to do so.

And to the media - I know. It's probably fun to jump onto this bandwagon right now. How terrible! Guests with "no visible disability" are using the GAP! But here's the thing - you literally have NO IDEA what that person's disability is. Could they be faking it for a "all day Fast Pass" - possibly. But to put pressure onto Disney to take away this program, or to make it that much harder for those who need it is insane. For those living with disability, EVERYTHING is a hassle. Why make vacation even more so?

So, that's my take. Love it, hate it, whatever. I'm lucky to be able to experience this from both the perspective of a Cast Member AND as a person who's had to use the GAP. Did the pass stop the pain? Heck no. Did it make my stay enjoyable to be able to reduce the pain and ride with my husband and best friend? You bet. And that folks, is worth it.

3 comments:

  1. This was an excellent post. I have tweeted this so that others can hopefully gain a different perspective. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already know that I'm a huge fan of the GAP! It let us all enjoy our vacation together, which was pretty much the best thing ever. I can't imagine how hard it would've been for you to stand in some of those lines. Hell, it would have been hard for me!

    But it does bother me that people are "hiring" people with disabilities to join their party specifically so they can cut in line. Anyone who needs the GAP should certainly have one! But paying a stranger to be part of your vacay so you can "cut" lines? Like you said, just use fastpass! I agree that the GAP is too valuable to get rid of; I just think it's a shame that some people are misusing it so badly.

    Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have PN and degenerating tendons (all thanks to Cipro... don't ever take that evil antibiotic!); I need to use an electric scooter at Disneyland because I could never walk even the distance from the car to the gate. The scooter makes my disability visible, though the fact that I'm relatively young and can walk short distances has made more than one smart @$$ complain about me using a handicap spot. I happened to go to Knott's (another amusement park here in CA) after this story hit the big time and noticed that everyone seemed suspicious of me (even though it was just me and my 7 yr old son, who could never hire me for $100/hr to get on rides fast!). The park changed their policy to making us return, much like the fast-pass, at a time comparable to waiting in line. I guess this is the best solution, but unlike healthy folks, those of us w/real disabilities can't wait in lines for other rides while waiting for our return time to come up... so basically we're SOL? Sad that we had one of the only advantages to being crippled taken away overnight because of the alleged actions of a few.

    ReplyDelete