Sunday, October 21, 2012

Top 10 Halloween Movies

I love Halloween. It's right up there with Christmas for me. I love the smell of carving pumpkins, the costumes, the changing leaves, the haunted attractions (though you'll never catch me at one, I spend a lot of my time watching them on TV or YouTube), and the movies.

Which brings me to the awesome heft of this post. My top 10 movies to watch during Halloween:


10. Halloween

It's a classic. I mean, who hasn't jumped at Michael Meyers, or shuddered when he falls out the window, and apparently still lives? It's just good stuff. And that soundtrack is pretty much a Halloween staple.


9. The Shining

I couldn't believe it, but my hubby hadn't ever seen it before. It came on the other night, and I finally had him watch it. It was certainly more creepy than I remembered it being, and Wendy Torrance is one awful main character. That acting is horrendous, but Jack Nicholson totally makes up for it. If you haven't seen it - do yourself a favor and change that.


8. The Exorcist

Another classic, and certainly not one to watch before you go to bed. I remember watching this on repeat during Halloween while I lived in Marion, IL and it kind of became a tradition. I don't have the heart to make it through the crucifix scene though...

7. Silent Hill

Okay, I'm the first to admit it. This movie scared the absolute crap out of me. It was on TV or something, and after the car accident, I spent much of the movie buried in my husband's chest. I was too scared to even change the channel. I know for fans of the Silent Hill franchise (it's a video game series for anyone that doesn't know) the movie was a pretty big disaster, but the visuals and the story itself STILL freak me out. When I heard Halloween Horror Nights was doing a house based on Silent Hill, I immediately waited until someone posted a walk-through to see how it turned out. There's no way on EARTH I would've made it through the line, nevermind the house. Ugh.

6. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

It's no secret: I love me some Tim Burton. And really, what's better than Johnny Depp singing? Not much. Be prepared for over-the-top blood and violence though. They don't call him the "Demon Barber of Fleet Street" for nothing.

5. The Corpse Bride

It's no secret: I love me some Tim Burton. And you'll certainly be seeing more of his fine work on this countdown. I love the music, the plot and the characters in this well done, stop action movie. Hubby even likes it more than "Nightmare".

4. Nightmare Before Christmas

This is one of my all-time favorites. I actually got to see the original concepts and models for this movie back in the early 90's during a trip to MGM. Following the story of Jack, Sally and the entire population of Halloweentown, you'll find your toes tapping all the way from October 31st to December 25th.

3. Zombieland

Just wow. Hubby and I actually saw this on opening night in the theaters. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll revel in new ways to kill zombies. It's a comedy, but come on, zombies.

2. Ghostbusters

One of the best. Bill Murray kills it. Not to mention all of the classic one-liners that just make Halloween better. Watch it. Laugh your butt off. Repeat.

1. Hocus Pocus

The Sanderson sisters are back. This movie taught me not to light ANY candles, to trust kindly zombies named Billy, and what the hell a virgin was. If you can resist "I Put a Spell On You", check your pulse, because you're probably already dead. It's just awesome and embodies all that is good about Halloween. And seriously, folks? It shows why trick-or-treating at night is the freaking bomb.

So there you have it! Those are my Halloween "must-sees". What are yours? Share them below and add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment