Monday, March 12, 2012

Disney Trip: Day 2 (With LOTS of photos)

Thanks for coming back for Day 2! Let's get started, shall we?

We woke up early. Like, really early. It was still dark outside. Luckily, it was just the excitement that woke us, and not a lack of sleep. We wanted to get the heck out  of the very non-magical Clarion and on Disney property as quickly as possible. We were packed, checked out and on the way to the Caribbean Beach by 6:00 AM.

Finally we started to see the glorious purple signs indicating that we were on Disney property. And for anyone that's been there, it's completely evident when you are. Things are so much more manicured. There's less traffic. The only signs are for attractions and Disney owned hotels. It's pretty. Orlando is....uh...not.

Then the second sign (literally) that we were "home". The giant Disney sign stretching across the road. I literally cried as we drove under. I was just so happy that my vacation was here and that I was at my favorite place in the entire world. Instantly, I felt relaxed, excited and immensely happy, all at once.

The Walt Disney World Sign- we made it!
We arrived at our hotel, the Caribbean Beach Resort, at nearly 6:30 AM. I had already checked in online (like, the week before) so they were aware that we would be checking in early and already had our information waiting at the desk for us. It was exciting to be back where customer service ruled. The sweetest cast member checked us in and informed us that our room wasn't ready yet, but that they would text me as soon as it was (we already knew that). She also helped me put some items I had gotten for E and Z into their rooms for them so that they would be waiting for them once they arrived.

The building we stayed in- #13

We were both starving at this point, and decided to head to Port Royal, the area of our resort where the food court, arcade, shops, pool and bar were located. We grabbed some breakfast (eggs, bacon, biscuit and breakfast potatoes) and enjoyed being on vacation. It had been years since I had been to Caribbean Beach, so it was neat to see what had stayed the same and what had been changed. For instance, the pool used to be themed with the Little Mermaid. Now, it's Pirates of the Caribbean. We looked around, but decided we needed to get to the park.


 With that, we drove to our building (#13 in Barbados), parked the car and jumped the nearest bus for the Magic Kingdom. To me, Disney isn't Disney until you see Cinderella's Castle, and this time wouldn't be any different. While I was a bit annoyed at the amount of time we had to wait for the bus (we sat through 2 Epcot buses, 2 for DHS and 3 for Downtown Disney!) I quickly forgot about it when we were finally on our bus.

Barbados- Home Sweet Home!


We made the short drive to the Magic Kingdom, and it was like something clicked. I knew my way around like I had never left. I knew when the tunnel was coming. I knew when the turn offs for the various hotels were coming up. Then, the soundtrack on the bus changed as we took the right turn into the bus drop off for the Magic Kingdom. I think I was actually jumping up and down at that point.

We caught the last little part of the Welcoming Ceremony (a big deal to me) and watched as the family they had chosen opened the Magic Kingdom with streamers and pixie dust. I cried again. There's something so magical about a little kid getting to feel like THEY are magic, you know? I gathered myself long enough to take some pictures and grab a locker before heading under the train station into my favorite park.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!
So magical!

We immediately went to City Hall to grab a Guest Assistance Card. I was so nervous, and kind of embarrassed to get it, but I figured it was there for a reason and swallowed some pride. I walked up to the desk and a lovely British Cast Member asked how she could help me. I told her I needed the GAC and she asked what kind of assistance I needed. Inside, I sort of began freaking out. I didn't know how to explain my RSD to someone who didn't know about it. It makes it more difficult because it isn't necessarily noticeable to people who don't know me and know the difference from how I used to walk to how I walk now. I sort of rattled off a long explanation for her, but caught myself. She just smiled and said there were certain stamps they would use depending on the type of assistance (no stairs, shade needed, etc.) She was very sweet, gave me the card, and I met Hubby outside. I was ready to get the day started!

The Guest Assistance Card
One thing I noticed were how many characters were out and about so early in the morning! It was 7:00 AM and the park was almost completely empty, but there were Chip, Dale, Daisy, Donald, Goofy and Snow White...all just in the front area of the park! We hadn't even made it past the Emporium!


We began to walk down Main Street, almost completely alone, when I finally saw it: Cinderella's Castle. It was even more beautiful than I had remembered. There's something about that Castle that brings back every single awesome memory of Disney with my family when I was a child. I cried. Again. (On a side note, I realize that I might be coming off sounding like a complete insane person. I have a somewhat limited emotional range and I cry when I feel anything either happy or sad. I'm not crazy, just sentimental. Or crazy. Whatever.)
Cinderella's Castle!
Another shot of the castle after things warmed up and the sky cleared a bit
Partners
We ran into this guy, who was pulling the Dapper Dans along!

After grabbing some photos, we made a beeline for the Haunted Mansion (always our first stop) and I prepared to hate the changes. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the new queue fit into the classic attraction! It was great! My favorite part was probably the organ on the mausoleum. It really played- and it also sprayed a mist when you touched the keys. It was even inscribed with the word "Ravenscroft". The other great part was the Captain's grave. I don't want to give away too much information for those that haven't had a chance to go, but it holds a few of it's own surprises!

New murder mystery part of the queue
Tomb Sweet Tomb

The horseless hearse
LOVE this ride!
Hubby with the organ


The Captain's Grave

We managed to hit pretty much everything that morning, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Philharmagic, The People Mover, Space Mountain, Space Ranger Spin, and the Carousel of Progress. We decided to head back to the resort to be there when E and Z arrived. Our room was Finding Nemo themed which was great!!

Our FastPass for Space Mountain
They changed the Adventureland sign!
The view of the castle from the People Mover
Tomorrowland!
Crush was on our comforter!


Now, at some point during this little break, Hubby decided to take it easy on the hammock on the beach at the resort. We found out later that his phone had dropped in the sand without us seeing it, and luckily, a lovely person found it and answered when I called. They agreed to drop it off at the resort office, so we were able to pick it up. SUPER nice. That could've been WAY worse.

The Beach that ate Hubby's phone.

Finally, we met up with E and Z! I was so freaking stoked to see them. It had been a little over a year since we had seen them. While E and I talk almost every day, it was so nice to be able to hang out again. We all boarded another bus to the Magic Kingdom and headed to dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table.

It was freaking amazing. It had changed a bit since I was a kid, but I can totally see why this is such a coveted place to get reservations at. We got to meet Cinderella downstairs, then headed up into the castle to our table. We had an AMAZING view, and our waiter was AWESOME. I ordered the beef vegetable soup as an appetizer, beef tenderloin with potatoes and asparagus for the entree and I even got to decorate a cupcake for dessert! In the meantime the princesses had began to make the rounds to each table. I got REALLY excited. First was Snow White, followed by Ariel, and Aurora. Then, they introduced Belle's story and I pretty much lost it. I couldn't even eat. I was bouncing in my seat waiting for her to come to our table. She finally made it over and I managed to make a complete fool out of myself. I didn't care- it was just an awesome experience and I was on cloud nine.

Dinner, here we come!

Our picture with Cinderella
E and I with Belle!
My delish soup!

My delicious entree
Dessert!
Just as we began eating dessert, the lights lowered and the soundtrack to Wishes started. We had window seats, so we were able to watch the beautiful fireworks from our chairs. E cried. I cried. It was magic. Seriously, amazing. We even got to keep our menus!

Our menu
Our view of Wishes out the window
We hit a few rides after dinner, then headed back to resort to chill in the hot tub while the boys grabbed some drinks from the pool-side bar. All in all, it was a pretty amazing first day. I was with my bestie, her hubs, my hubs and we were at the place where dreams come true. How could I have asked for anything more?



Stay tuned for day 3 tomorrow! What do you think of the photos? Too many? Not enough? Sound off and let me know!

2 comments:

  1. You got to eat at CRT during Wishes!!! SO cool.

    Also cool? Finding Nemo Room!!

    Love this and I can't wait for more!! Awesome amount of photos, and if there were a few more I wouldn't mind either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just inevitable that if I see Wishes on the first night, I will cry. Guaranteed. At least I wasn't the only one! ;)

    ReplyDelete